09 August 2008

Eating Out

While I'm on the topic of food, I should mention that it's easy to eat out.
There are lots of Chinese, Barbecue , and Roti (Roti is an Indian food and deserves its own post)places to choose from. I've only seen one Sushi place (but haven't yet tried it), and heard there's another one, seen one Thai place (again, not tried it), a handful of Arabian food places (falafel and hummus!), some Italian places, one Irish pub (food stank), and tons of other local-food places.
There are fast-food places here just like home such as Subway, Burger King, Long John Silvers, Popeyes, Quiznos, KFC (which is a huge hit), Dominoes, and Papa Johns. The lines at these places are disgusting. Americans would never think about standing in line as long as I have for this type of food. I have waited in the KFC drive-thru lane for over 30 minutes. I have stood in line at Subway for 25 minutes, same for everything else.
There are also a few chain restaurants that we know like Ruby Tuesdays, TGIF, Benihana, Pizza Hut. Now, if you're going to Ruby Tuesdays or TGIF, you are getting dressed up because you are "going out." It's a very different experience than what I am used to (wouldn't touch Ruby Tuesdays with a 10-foot pole), but may reflect the amount of money people make here (the prices are relatively the same), the newness of having these chains here, the fact that there are only a few of these types of restaurants available to a very large population, or other factors that I can't quite wrap my head around.
Also, prices differ depending upon where you eat. In the West, where I lived before and where there are many ex-pats and wealthy people, prices are much more than in the East where I am now.

No comments: