18 August 2008

Good Riddance, Almera


Got rid of the rental today. I had to extend my rental agreement because I couldn't buy anything without a contract, and can't see paying the exorbitant rental fee when I leave for graduation. I am sad to not have a car when I come back, but very happy to see that piece go. It has been nothing but trouble over the past few months. Shall we take a walk down memory lane with the Almera? [Cue the instrumental]
Snapped off someone's side mirror in the first week of driving the car here.
Got the bumped ripped off by a dump truck.
Got broken-into at a Family Sports Day for the Prison Services Department (go figure!). During this, my back passenger side window was smashed, the thieves jumped in, popped the hood, disabled the battery, and tried to pry my stereo out of the dash. They didn't get anything, but they totally messed up my whole console. When this was repaired, that door wouldn't open, parts of the dash were repaired, but the stereo was put in upside-down, the antenna didn't work, and the clock and air conditioning was re-set every time the car was turned off.
Got rear-ended at a red light, causing me to fly into the car in front of me. My car looked like an accordion, and to make matters worse, a box of bbq chicken exploded during impact, sending bits and pieces of it (along with pasta salad) everywhere in the car...can you imagine that smell in 90-degree heat after the windows are up? The damage caused the trunk to leak, and now it continues to leak, which has fostered the most fantastic environment for nice mold spores to flourish.
The back tire [or tyre] has a slow leak.
A flying rock on the highway caused a nice crack across the windshield [or windscreen].
I was told, "That car is blight!" [It's cursed].

I'm not sure what's going to happen once I get back to T&T/work (if that ever happens!), but I could "travel," which means take a maxi-taxi, taxi, bus. Maxi taxis are big vans that are color-coded depending upon the route they travel. These are usually squished with as many people as possible and the windows don't really look like they open (or slide) very much to let in air. Taxis are just cars with "H" plates (for "hired"), usually squished with as many people as possible, with no air conditioning in most cases. Buses run, but I don't know much about them. I am hoping not to travel because I really need a coach to do so, and don't want to get taken advantage of/robbed/etc. that can sometimes happen. To get transport, you stand on the side of the road and put your finger down or up (I've seen both). Also, if a taxi is driving by and they have room, they'll beep at you. A friend told me he tried to travel one day and ended up walking a mile before a friend stopped and picked him up. I also don't want to attempt walking anywhere because I get a lot of calls and whistles...it's a little unnerving. Also, I heard when it's rush hour or if it's raining, people push and pull and fight to get transport. Yikes!

1 comment:

amber said...

well the car may suck but your hair looks super cute! :) Happy pre-Birthday!!!!!!