27 August 2007

Strange things I've eaten...vegetarians may not want to read on

Cow skins--Ya, they were as gross as they sound, and slimy, and in a broth. I agreed to "try" it at a creole place across from the clinic (after having some TGIF beers), and he brought me 8! I had 1 1/2, and a coworker gobbled the rest up! Gizzards--they were jerked. I don't even know what a gizzard is! I just looked it up and knew they were gross, but didn't know how gross. It was okay, but that was because of the seasoning. Starfruit (called 5-fingers here) soaked in water, salt, Shado Beni (AKA Mexican coriander, a leafy, spicy herb), and garlic. It's called "chow" and they make it with mango and pineapple, too. Saltfish--Just had saltfish accra, which are small breaded and fried chunks...very good! A coworker today told me that curried iguana is good, and he and another coworker caught a big one and ate it. I said I'd try it another time. Bake and Shark--A bake is a biscuit, as large as the palm of your hand to a whole fist. It's hollow in the middle, and you put whatever you want inside. Bake and shark is with fried shark pieces. It's sooo good.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

cow skins eh? Did it taste like leather?

Brandy said...

Nina, you're hilarious! But it was the texture of phlegm. Ick! I don't want to think of it anymore!

amber said...

I have been told by one of my clients that when I go to Trinidad I MUST try Bake & Shark so I'm glad to hear you liked it. And she told me to try preserved mangos too. I think I'll pass on the cow skins & gizzards however!