12 August 2007

A Yucky End to a Stressful Week

This week was crazy! Difficult cases, non-scheduled patients and consultations, no lunch, errands to run between patients (making them wait longer). Thursday I woke up without water. OK, I can deal with that, and I now have my own private tank, which I turned on without any problems (thank God, because I can't deal with water problems anymore). So I myself out to eat on Thursday night, to a place called Sweet Lime, and had Creole Kingfish (it was delicious) and vegetables.





Sweet Lime


Friday, after paying a hefty lawyer's fee for making Association-mandated changes to my rental agreement, I hit someone's side mirror. The mirror itself broke off, but the actual housing stayed on. I pulled over, and the man I was with was known by the owner of the car who will bring the bill over for me to pay. I must add here that driving here is extremely stressful at times, especially in the city, after lunch, and on Fridays or before holidays. At the time of the accident, I was traveling down a two-way street, narrow to begin with, with cars parked on both sides. A huge, white SUV swerved onto my side of the street (although the streets here are rarely marked with side-designating lines), and a broken side mirror was a better option than a head-on collision. So, here starts the weekend.


Back at work, I locked my keys inside the audio room. I said, "someone is telling me to leave," and, "I need a drink!" I left promptly at 3, and headed straight to the grocery store for some comfort food (microwave popcorn and a candy bar) and wine, deciding that I would spend the night watching movies on TV and "numbing it."


Alas, the gods decided differently. It seems that lightning struck the pole behind me while I was at work, and knocked out power only to my building, and water to the whole complex. Of course, the shell of a buidling in construction had lights on, and I was tempted to throw an extension cord (if I had one). So, I had some warm white wine and a bag of buttery-flavored popcorn kernels...I just went to bed, defeated.






Me looking enviously (from my porch) at the power in the opposite building

1 comment:

Jules said...

I know the feeling of looking at others with power while you are without. After many a hurricane growing up, we would look across the lake at everyone with power while we waited a week plus. Finally, last year we got power first (took 23 years). :O)